WHY DENEQUA? I chose to feature Denequa because from the moment I met her she's consistently proven that she is comfortable in her skin. That may not seem major, but, it is! She does not try to be, she just is... and that trait is so rare. Her strong sense of self is so refreshing. To truly live a #SpikedLifestyle you must be 100% accepting of you as a being. You can never truly love, share, or experience others until you're able to love, share, and experience yourself.
Instagram & Twitter: @litblklyn
Personal Instagram: @dwil
One piece of advice to help others 'Spike' their life?
I have a few pieces of advice I would offer:
- Trust your intuition. Your gut is God talking to you. Don’t ignore or fight the signs.
- Know that what is for you is for you, and no one can stop that.
- Stay in your own lane, one, there’s no traffic, and two, you don’t want to be a carbon copy of someone else’s dreams, visions and ideas. We live in a world where it’s so easy to become “inspired” by someone and their work, social media makes it so easy. But that’s the thing, social media shows you the final product, not the sweat, tears, or sleepless nights that went into creating the magic. Respect the process and figure out what works for YOU!
- Research! If you want to be the best at what you do, you have to become the expert and the master of it.
- Collaboration is ALWAYS more effective than competition.
- Last but not least, “No risk, no reward”. Someone once said, If your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough. So if you can’t stop thinking about it, talking about it, dreaming about it, make it a reality. You’ll never know the outcome, if you don’t take the risk.
What do you do?
I am a professional dreamer, who marries idea with execution. I am a full time entrepreneur. I own a luxury soy candle company, LIT Brooklyn. When I am not hand pouring candles, I am speaking on panels and traveling.
On a scale of 1-10, how 'Spiked' is your life?
My life is LIT, lol. I say that because I am naturally a hard worker, and anything that you are working hard at is bound to succeed. Because I am succeeding in my personal life, as far as mental health, physical health, etc, it becomes that much easier to have harmony in everything else that I’m apart of.
What is your secret to 'Spiking' your life?!
I would say there is no secret to ‘spiking’ my life. What I will say however is that I had excellent examples for parents. They taught me at a very young age, by me observing, that to achieve any form of success, it takes hard work and discipline. My parents are my muses. I admire their work ethic. I am a product of excellence. Both immigrants who migrated to this country with practically nothing. They have taught me and showed me first hand what hard work and sacrifice look like and for that I will forever be grateful.That’s all I know because that’s what I’ve been surrounded by. I also repeat this quote to myself everyday to maintain momentum, “My parents worked too hard for me to be anything but excellent”.